This past year, we figured out how to sync our calendars on our iPhones. Having access to each other’s calendars has saved many headaches. These are some of the ways we have found it helpful:
- See what time a meeting gets over before you try to call
- Set up dinners without having to check the calendar at home
- Look ahead before planning a surprise
- Schedule personal outings when you know the other is already busy
- No delay for your spouse to find out you scheduled something
I have forgotten so many times to tell my husband about something that got scheduled, but when it shows up on his calendar he can see it anyway! This keeps us communicating and organized.
So here’s what you need:
- iPhones with internet connection
- Email account with a calendar – such as Hotmail, Exchange, Yahoo, Gmail, etc.
Steps to Sync your Calendars
- From the home screen, go to Settings.
- Select “Mail, Contacts, Calendars”.
- Tap “Add Account” and select the type of account you use. Then fill out the required information. You can add multiple accounts – I’ve heard of people having over 10 different ones on their phone.
- Pick what to sync from each account. Ben’s is the Exchange account, so I only use Calendars. Gmail is mine, so I have Mail and Calendars turned on.
- Scroll down to the bottom of “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” to set the default calendar on your phone to YOUR email account. It is all the way at the bottom of this screen.
This way when you add an event in the Calendar app, it automatically color codes it to your account. (If you ever want to add an event to a different calendar, you can change this when you edit the event details.)
- Open the Calendar app. Events from each other’s calendars should appear. My events have a red dot, and Ben’s have a blue dot.
Now you can add events through your phone or email account for the other to see right away!