Summer is when gardeners everywhere have to get creative with their surplus. Well, once you fix your tomatoes (grape or cherry variety) this way, you will never want to eat them another way. Even my tomato hating husband loved this dish!
- Slice the tomatoes in half. In a bowl, drizzle with olive oil. Season with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and fresh basil.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Roast the tomatoes face up on a baking sheet for at least 5 hours. I like 6.5 hours, because the texture is closer to sun-dried tomatoes.
These tomatoes are great on pizza or in salads, but here’s my favorite recipe.
Tomato Feta Pasta
- Start cooking 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Heat 3/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add a generous amount of fresh basil and oregano, 1 TBS paprika, 4 cloves of minced garlic, 2 TBS lemon juice, at least 1 cup roasted tomatoes, 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Start preparing the spaghetti according to the package, enough for four servings.
- Add cooked chicken breast strips to the sauce.
- When pasta is done, toss in the skillet to coat with the sauce.
- Serve the dish sprinkled with feta.